We are excited to be offering so many events for children and young adults. Encouraging young readers to come to the Willy Lit Fest and get up close with their favourite authors is important in promoting reading, creativity and story in the lives of young people.
Here’s a summary of what we have on offer:
For young children:
- Audiobooks come alive with Stygg Wemyss, an actor, writer and the wildly popular voice behind hundreds of children’s audiobooks. Saturday 18 June, 10.30am-11.30am.
- Billie B Mysteries/Hey Jack! with Sally Rippin, acclaimed children’s author who has had more than fifty children’s books published, including the renowned Billie B Brown and Hey Jack! series. Saturday 18 June, 10.30am-11.30am.
- Meet Morris Gleitzman – Morris is one of Australia’s funniest and best-loved children’s authors with over 36 published books. Saturday 18 June 12.00pm – 1.00pm.
- SOLD OUT! — Andy Griffiths Kid’s Show – Over the last 20 years Andy’s books have been New York Times bestsellers, adapted for the stage and television and won more than 50 Australian children’s choice awards. Sunday 19 June, 10.30am – 11.30am. SOLD OUT!
- Wordburger – how to be a champion word puzzler with David Astle, full-time word nerd. He’ll have children whipping up a flurry of riddles, puzzles, and lateral-thinking games that’ll have them penning puns and trying out tongue-twisters. Sunday 19 June 12.00pm – 1.00pm.
For young adults
- The Willy Lit Fest Debate – the much loved festival favourite where teams from Bayside Secondary College and Mount St Joseph Girls’ College will debate ‘Curiosity Killed the Cat – But Will it Kill Us?’, Chaired by Cr Sandra Wilson, Deputy Mayor, Hobsons Bay City Council. Sunday 19 June, 10.00am -11.30am.
- A Passion for Footy with Nicole Hayes, whose debut young adult release, The Whole of My World (Random House 2013) was the first ‘footy novel’ featuring a girl. It was longlisted for the 2014 Gold Inky Award, and shortlisted for the 2014 YABBAs. She will be joined by Michael Hyde, Angela Pippos and Alicia Sometimes who are all made for footy. Young people are very welcome at this event. Sunday 19 June, 2.00pm – 3.00pm.
And for our teeny tiny book lovers we have Story Time courtesy of Hobsons Bay Libraries in the Library Auditorium on Saturday 18 June, 10.30am-11.30am. This is a free event and no bookings are required.